Thursday, May 13, 2010

Fishin' in a Crawdad Hole

Anybody know what a crawdad is?!  I didn't... until last week.

When I was in the sixth grade, I was chosen to be a part of this music program called All-City that featured musically-gifted children around the middle school age.  It was the beginning of me really enjoying being on stage while singing and dancing.  This particular show, we sang a song with lyrics that went like this: "You get a line and I'll get a pole, honey.  You get a line and I'll get a pole, Babe.  You get a line and I'll get a pole; We'll go fishin' in a crawdad hole, Honey, Baby mine."  Don't judge us.  It was the South.

Silly, right?  As a eleven-year old (going on twelve), I had no CLUE what that song was talking about.  And what the heck is a crawdad?!

Cut to a week ago when I was privileged enough to sub for the soprano in Mandisa's band.  You remember Mandisa as a finalist on American Idol.  She is sooooo sweet, and she really loves the Lord.  If you haven't checked out her music already, please do so!

Anyway, so we were in Monroe, Louisiana, for a wonderful city-wide reconciliation service.  The sets went great, the people were wonderful, and we (Mandisa and us background singers) were backstage getting ready to get back on the road.  As I was going to the bus for a moment to get the rest of my things, I ran into our road manager who was talking to a local police officer.  The officer asked me randomly if I'd ever had crawfish, to which I answered absolutely not, and thirty minutes later, Officer Smith had a big box full of freshly boiled crawfish, complete with corn and potatoes.  He proceeded to teach us how to eat them, but there was no way to know how influential those crawfish would become for our trip to Monroe.... 

http://www.twitvid.com/BN1SF

2 comments:

  1. We are so happy for you and proud of you Janice. May the Lord continue to bless you mightily. Our best to you too, Eric.
    Rob, Chris, Rebekah, Andrew, and Julianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacquelyn Merriwether-Reddick-JonesMay 15, 2010 at 7:47 AM

    littles, when you were a wee littles, Dad n Mommy would take you n Jon fishing. Daddy and Mommy loved to fish, and used artificial bait, minnows, worms, crickets, and CRAWFISH!!!!!!!!!! you just don't remember-poor little thing! when they lived in New Orleans and Shreveport, you and Jon experienced many crawfish, shrimp, and other multi-use beings, lol! Too funny!!!!!! OMG, loved the video!!!!! Take care, sweetie, and be continually blesses, while blessing others!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete