Monday, September 27, 2010

Great Expectations

I have a confession to make. I'm a judger. I mean, to some degree we all are, so I don't feel alone. Even still, I don't think the Lord has called me to be one. I'll tell you one of the subjects I've judged the most, though... The "name it and claim it" gospel. I know, I know. Some of you are even judging me right now. :-) But there's always redemption in what God does, if you look closely enough.

Lately God has just been cleaning out some old defense mechanisms of mine in order to make more room for me to trust Him. And I came across a huge one--changing my expectations so as to not be disappointed. You see, I HATE to be disappointed, or better yet, caught off-guard with bad news. That's really what disappointment is, isn't it? It's something happening other than what you wanted to happen, all when you didn't expect it. That has traditionally been one of the scariest feelings for me. But God isn't satisfied to leave me in my fear.

He's been showing me that He's trustworthy and that it must eventually be enough for me that nothing catches HIM off-guard. And on top of that, He's been showing me that He really has my best interest in mind. And that "best interest" includes some really cool gifts.

I've spent so much of my life and time preparing for the worst that I've missed many chances to expect wonderful things from God. Can I ask God for anything that I want and expect to receive it? I know some of you would like an answer to that. Honestly, He's still teaching me; so I'll let you know when this lesson is over. :-) I do know, though, that I've spent way too much time on the opposite end of the spectrum; and He's moving me toward a healthier equilibrium. So for now, I'll be listening to Jonathan Nelson's "Expect the Great" on repeat! BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

No comments:

Post a Comment