Monday, November 29, 2010

Tightrope Walking

I don't think I remember having ever gone to a circus.  My close friends laugh at me for my lack of memory of certain past events, so I may have actually gone to one at some point.  I don't remember it, though.  Somehow, I still have images of tightrope walkers that I can easily pull on.  I've probably seen it on television at some point (I am an avid tv watcher).  My guess is that you have similar images of tightrope walkers that you can pull on as well.  

In life, people often talk about trying to find balance.  Maybe you're a science nerd and you call it "equilibrium.'' (I'm not judging.  :-))  Either way, as humans, much of life is about learning how to balance this and that of different categories.  *whispering suddenly* I'm learning a secret to balance that I'm willing to share.  I'm convinced that the Lord either plans for or redeems every image we see to teach us more about Him, His love for us, and how our relationship with Him is intended to be.  Some keys to balance can be found in the image of the tightrope walker.

If you notice, one who walks a tightrope does not look down constantly.  They HAVE to largely look ahead.  Looking ahead is what gives them perspective in their movement.  That perspective tells them how to distribute their weight against the rope.  We are to look to our Lord for His perspective.  It's the only perspective that will teach you properly to distribute the "weight" of life.  

Tightrope walkers also usually have their arms outstretched.  Now, you can interpret this as being outstretched to God or people, but I don't think one can be outstretched to God without also being willing to reach out to His people.  When Jesus was asked what the greatest commandment was, he answered that it was to love God with all your heart, mind, and strength AND to love your neighbor as you love yourself.  Because of that, I believe they go hand-in-hand. 

Finally, tightrope walkers also only have the option of putting one foot in front of the other--one at a time.  If they try to cover too much ground at once, they will surely lose their balance.  If there is one thing most humans have difficulty with, it's taking one step at a time.  I'm not saying that we shouldn't plan ahead.  As a matter of fact, we should!  But we can only take one step at a time in reality.  See, we tend to be so addicted to stability and predictability because we would like to not have to trust God for those things.  But at the end of the day, we can't provide it for ourselves, no matter how hard we try.

Noticing the tools God gives us is one thing, but I'm working on walking this one out in every facet of life.  Anyone else?


1 comment: