Monday, November 22, 2010

Healing aches

Oh my goodness! I injured my knee in a spinning class (stationary biking) in June, and it still has not yet fully recovered.  It is so annoying!  I was basically going too far in the gym in the summer, and my biking form was wrong.  I've been back-and-forth to the doctor numerous times in the last several months.  I'm grateful that I didn't tear anything in my knee, but I have had to severely diminish the intensity of my workouts in order to allow it to heal. Boo-hoo.

Now, the doctor has given me certain activities that I am allowed to do in working out, as long as I take it slowly.  I've been trying to do them, and I realized something about injuries.  They hurt to heal!  I guess I should have assumed this from previous injuries that weren't so severe, but it occurred to me recently while doing with my knee what the doctor told me is actually healthy to do.

I've always operated under the assumption that pain is an indicator of something wrong (science nerd), which it often is.  But pain is also included in any healing process I can think of--even in very healthy healing processes.  A scab forming one a child's knee is sore/painful.  Perhaps that's why we call them "sores."  An injured and minimally-used knee will certainly ache when it is starting to be used again.   And a broken bone set in a cast will surely ache as the body literally stitches itself back together.

I don't know what kind of pain you may be going through.  Maybe your pain is an indication of something wrong that the Lord wants to bring to your attention.  Then again, your pain may be a part of the aches that come with the Lord stitching something broken in you back together.  Whatever your pain is indicating, trust that your life and your heart are in the hands of the Great Physician who built you from scratch.  Who else knows you down to the true marrow of who you are and are intended to be?
BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

1 comment: