Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Never Saul, Always David

How come we as Christians never see ourselves in the stories of the Bible as the villain?  I mean, we can always relate to David, Solomon (in his wise days), Paul, and even Peter on his better side of believing.  Somehow, we rarely think of ourselves as the tormented Saul, chasing David because he was jealous of his anointing.  We don't see ourselves as the hardened-hearted-Pharaoh, leading his army to pursue God's people, attempting to enslave them.  And I don't know why, but we certainly don't see ourselves as Pharisees, cursing Jesus for breaking our tradition that we've interpreted as the Law.

If these characters existed back then, and there's "nothing new under the sun," then don't they have to exist in some form now?

I don't know.  Just a thought....

3 comments:

  1. Great thought!
    It really is Something to take a look at. Rarely do I ask the holy spirit "Who I am "or " Lord which character trait do You to you feel resembles my heart lately"- in when pertaining to a particular lesson or story I am reading.

    My question sometimes when reading the word is "mmm how can I apply this today with where I am at?'
    Which is a great way to look at the Word but kinda puts the living active word in a comfortable box...Because the truth I believe that Jesus would say to us - His brother and sisters- is that most of the character in the bible are us. I am a Peter, at times a Saul, a heart harden Pharaoh in the afternoon over an issue maybe and a David on my knees worshiping, a lover or Gods heart.. all in one day!! It the sanctification process in full action. Praise Jesus for His blood that covers all our character defects and will reveal and heal them if we ask Him and will encourages us when we tend to always pick the villain in guilt led by the enemy. Our King of Compassion kindly reminds us that Who ( even in sin) we really are is for GOOD and not Evil.. ..Great point !! love u

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a recovering Pharisee, I consider myself blessed when I read of a villian whom the Lord Jesus still called "friend", as in Judas. Or the honor he gives to David, as a "man after God's own heart", when the Bible also tells us he was an adulterer and murderer. It gives me hope to read that no matter the condition of my heart, He loved me enough to give His life for me, and He still loves me enough today to not leave me imprisoned in my own flesh. Great to hear your thoughtful musings. I love you, and your new websight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies and gentlemen, this is my sister, with whom I am well pleased----lol. Love you Janice. I had to put that. But, yeah, I love that thought...Saul is always the other person, never "me". I think I've been a "Davidaul". Wanting to show the good part, but knowing the Saul part was on the inside being silently jealous. Great thinking kiddo!!!

    ReplyDelete