Wednesday, March 3, 2010

And My God Will Supply...

You might know the rest of this Scripture passage.  If not, it goes, "and my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. (English Standard Version)"  This is what Paul, the great apostle and missionary, said in his letter to the Phillipians. 

I've heard this passage quoted so many times, but reading now in my study time, I realize that I've heard it in the incorrect context probably every single time.

Aside: So, I'm not really one to memorize actual passages of Scripture.  I'm the kind of learner who learns by concept.  When I was in college at Oberlin, I majored in Economics.  Now, the econ department offered the major requirement Macroeconomics in two different ways: the very math way of learning things (via Calculus) and the very conceptual way of learning things.  I have to admit, I took the math way first, thinking, I'm pretty good in math, only to have a tragic semester resulting in failing that class. :-(  But I retook it, this time in the class that focused on the concepts.  I did pretty well and had a great time doing it.  (My professor, Professor Robert Piron, was amazing!)  Shout out!

Anyway, I say all that to say... I never understood this verse until I studied it myself and understood the concept behind it.  And now I realize many people don't understand it!

As a missionary, Paul often relied on the churches he started to help support the ministry going forward.  Well, in the letter to the Phillipians, Paul is thanking them for their tangible support and expressing how much God also appreciates their support of his ministry.  And right after that comes, "and my God will supply every need of yours [emphasis mine] according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus."  It seems to imply that God will take care of them just like they have been taking care of Paul. 

So, how are we tangibly supporting the Kingdom of God?  And are we expecting to be taken care of in the most elaborate ways without even considering sacrificing our own resources for the sake of the message of Christ?  I know I have some supporting to do....

No comments:

Post a Comment