Thursday, April 1, 2010

Where did I store my afro?!...

Today my schedule was a little off, and I found myself eating breakfast late and in front of the tv around 10am.  I rarely watch tv before the afternoon, but I decided to turn to the popular daytime show, The View.  At first they talked about what happened last night on Dancing with the Stars, but they soon moved on to a political debate regarding healthcare, of course. 

I've actually never really been a fan of Elizabeth Hasselbeck's opinions, and I stopped watching The View years ago because of how frustrated her opinions and their passionate delivery made me.  Somehow, I stumbled back into the trap.... 

Gradually, I found myself becoming more and more frustrated with the conversation, and I could feel an old part of my heart trying to creep in.  In college, I was pretty outspoken about my political opinions, and my mentor used to call me a baby Angela Davis because of how passionately angry I got about certain topics.  In the middle of watching the view, I felt my heart figuratively saying, "where did I store that afro," through clenched teeth, and I knew it was time to let tv go for a moment. 

One of the things Jesus had to teach me around that time in college was that my loyalty must always lie with Him and His heart.  Meaning, I can never allow my lifestyle or actions to show more loyalty to a race, political party, or political agenda, than I do to the interests of Christ.  Now, with that, I know He wants me to stand up for justice, but He's teaching me that balance.  And it doesn't really include telling someone off just to get frustration off of my chest. 

So, for now, wisdom and prudence say that I probably don't need to watch things like The View that would entangle me in a debate with my television that won't effect any change.  There's actually real work to be done for the Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment